Social Enterprises: A Venture Center perspective
Venture Center defines Social Enterprises as those startups with the following features:
- Startups that aim to provide a solution to a significant problem or need of society and people at large especially under-served and under-privileged sections of the populations
- Startups with a financially sustainable business model and/or a for-profit orientation (all though the profit targets may be muted).
- Startups that benefit from good-will from impact investors (patient capital), funding agencies/ foundations/governments, employees, strategic partners, suppliers/customers etc due to the social goods & services that the startup can deliver.
- Startups pursuing an agenda of inclusive innovation. Supporting technologies/ innovations/ enterprises aiming to deliver significant social impact using technologies that deliver more value from less resource for more people.
- Startups and entrepreneurs/innovators who meet Venture Center’s Social Enterprise definition
- Venture Center supports social innovators and social enterprises that leverage science and technology and follow a sustainable business model.
View our Social Innovation Initiatives
Social Innovation Tech Fellowships : For Early Stage Ideas
For Early Stage Ideas
Supported by Department of Biotechnology’s Biotech Industry Research Assistance Council (DBT-BIRAC), the Social Innovation Immersion Programme (SIIP) is a fellowship program under the SPARSH (Social Innovation Programme for Products: Affordable & Relevant to Societal Health) scheme. This scheme highlights the need of innovative solutions to society’s most pressing problems. He scheme tackles major social issues and offers new ideas for wide-scale change.
SPARSH objectives :
- Identify and provide support to cutting edge innovations towards affordable product development that can bring significant social impact and address challenges of inclusive growth.
- Provide support in form of impact funding of biotech product innovations (with social goals) that can be scaled.
- Create and foster a pool of social innovators in biotech and provide a platform to share best practices, understand intricacies of business models in social innovation and network.
Theme calls under Social Innovation Immersion Program:
Call 1: Maternal and Child Health: Pune MedTech Fellowships (2015-16)
Call 2: Sanitation and Waste to Value: Sanitation Tech Fellowships (2017-18)
Call 3: Ageing and Health: Geriatrics Tech Fellowships (2018-19)
Call 4: Waste to Value: Social Innovation Tech Fellowships (Cohort started on 1 Aug 2020)
Campaigns and Action Groups around Socially Relevant Themes
Via our Social Innovations vertical, Venture Center has launched campaigns round socially relevant themes like:
Social Innovation Lecture Series (SIL)
About the series: This lecture series presents social innovators/entrepreneurs, their journey, their models for delivering social impact, the lessons learnt and their tips/pointers for the next generation of social innovators/ entrepreneurs.
Contact person: Dr. Mugdha Lele, Sr. Manager for Social Innovations (firstname.lastname@example.org )
List of talks conducted: Available here
Startup 101 Series
Start-up 101 series is an induction series designed for young entrepreneurs who are initiating their entrepreneurial journeys. The aim is to expose them to the basic details and requirements in this journey from aspects of human resources, financial compliances, term sheets, how to raise money, technology commercialization, networking, how to pitch, preparing a business plan, venturing basics and such related aspects of entrepreneurship. Some practical tips and pointers based on real-life experiences will be shared by the speakers in this series. The idea is to enthuse and inspire young entrepreneurs and provide them a common launch pad to take off.
THEME / MISSION : Start-up India Mission / Skill India
Startup 101 : #1
Startup 101 : #2