Nature of projects
- The project needs to define a technology solution to a well-defined problem
- The idea proposed should be innovative/ novel.
- Project should relate to converting an idea into a prototype or prove demonstrate key technical claims of the idea
- Pure software development with no IP potential
- Pure academic research
- Technical soundness & do ability
- Potential business opportunity
- Potential for social impact
- Team capabilities & background
- Knowledge intensity or novelty or IP potential
- Execution & commercialization plan
- Chances of conversion & success as a startup
- Exceptional cases may be considered on its merit by the committee
- Any others as decided by the committee
Applicants and Project Leaders
- Every project proposal will need to identify a Project Leader and an Applicant/ Grantee.
- The Project Leader will be a single individual who will take responsibility for executing the project.
- The Applicant or Grantee can be either of the following:
- Case 1: Applicant is a single individual
- Case 2: Applicant is a nascent start-up company
Eligibility for the Project Leader (PL):
- PL has to be an individual (one person).
- PL is required to be at least 18 years of age as on the date of call for applications.
- PL is required to be Indian Citizen. An Indian citizen is defined as one who is in possession of a government approved proof of nationality such as a valid passport, voter’s id etc. Exceptional cases of foreign nationals with potential for impact in India will be considered.
- PL has to pursue the project or startup full time with no other concurrent commitments during the project duration.
- PL cannot be pursuing a long-term academic/research project (like doctoral students) with significant obligations during the project duration.
- Applicants must have completed basic undergraduate training in natural sciences/engineering/ medicine. Essential qualification is PhD/ MTech/ BTech/ BPharm /MD/ MBBS/ BDS/ MSc / MPhil/ M Des/ MPH /MBA / MSW and equivalents, with under‐ graduate training in Science, Medicine, Engineering. Applicants with a BSc degree with at least 1 year of full-time work or research experience shall also be eligible
Eligibility of an Applicant/ Grantee:
Case 1: Applicant is a single individual
- Applicant will also be the PL
- Applicant has to qualify under criteria for PL.
Case 2: Applicant is a nascent startup company
- The Company/LLP should be registered under the Indian Companies Act, 1956/2013
- The applicant can be a nascent startup company (under 5 years old at the time of announcing of a call for applications; PLC or LLP only; under 10 years old for Biotech startups).
- At least 51% of the company should be owned by Indian nationals (directly or indirectly). Exceptional cases will be considered on merit basis.
- The PL should be the founder (or significant shareholder, implies more than 10%) of the applicant startup company.
- An applicant company, in which any promoter holding more than or equal to 20% of the shares or has a more than 20% benefit sharing arrangement or exercises considerable control, is a copromoter of another ineligible company or a partner in another ineligible company or LLP, then the applicant will not be eligible.